12.2.11 and 19c

Laurel
Hi Dear  Erman!
How are you ? I hope all OK.
Now I am thinking on upgrading from 12.2.7 to  12.2.11  and also 12.1.0.2 to 19c DB at the same time.
DBA will be under pressure, but we will do in one run and  just major 1 testing for all the components.
We  have done this before as well.

Thinking :
upgrade to 19c first and then 12.2.11  ?
Is that makes complicating to investigating  the errors that appear duing upgrade ?
OR
12.2.11 first and then to 19c
Here is the "-" the patching of 12c   prerequisite patches is redundant, as will upgrade to 19c after

What is your suggestion  ?
also do you have your customer already on 19c ? Stayable ?
Probably we will get perf issues when upgrade from 12c, atleast always seeing those..

Take care!
Best wishes , Laurel

Re: 12.2.11 and 19c

Hi Laurel,

Thanks , going good :)

We are currently upgrading from EBS 12.1.3 - 11.2.0.4 to 12.2.10 - 19.12 :) So, I know what you are talking about :) that pressure I mean.

It is a complex work..

My suggestion is as follows;

Upgrade 19C in one downtime.. Then work with 19C for 1 month or something, and then upgrade to 12.2.11.

12.2.11 is so new, so you can wait a little bit..
Being in 19C; on the other hand, is important.

And yes I have customers already on 19C.. Watch out for performance issues! I have a couple of blog posts about the issues on EBS-- 19C environments.

One more thing; internalize the CDB-PDB administration before upgrading to 19C.. That pluggable database thing make the things even more complex if you don't know the idea behind..

Note that, these things can be done in one go.. But as you say, DBA will be in pressure.. Timing / being in the downtime limits is important.. ACtually,you re lucky, as you are already on 12.2, so you may choose the one-go method.  Still, I suggest seperating these tasks and the required downtimes. (and required tests of course)

Re: 12.2.11 and 19c

Laurel
Hi Dear Erman!
Thx for suggestion!
19c is new with CDB  and also more complex with troubleshooting/new issues could come up during upgrade itself..

So , I  think I will go for latest DB 12c patches required ( Needed to create non-technical sr to get all patches needed for 12c by ETCC as we dont have extended support)
Still I got patched all 12c db now ready  to proceed :)
Now I will proceed with AD+TXK patches and  12.2.11 upgrade.
The 19c I will leave as the last step here.

Question:
From documentation I understand run adop prepare and then apply ALL patches (EBS+Tech stack)
and then only finish it.
Have you practised the same or you tested in between that all goes well ? :)
I mean multiple adop prepare phases.

I have done upgrade 12.1.3/11.2.0.4 to 12.2.6/12c. Here I did in hot patching mostly what was supported from 12.1.3 upgrade.
I know how hard is that. almost 36 hours not much sleep. So, now I should have easier time :)
Customization load/re-coding was big part. ATP issues , but those should should be solved in 12.2.10 already.Issues were with cleanup of editions when  objects had db links and MVS.
and ofcourse perfrormance  issues afterwards... ( 12c)

Good luck to both of us :)
Br,Laurel

Re: 12.2.11 and 19c

Hi Laurel,

Just follow the documentation and you will be okay.

You don't use online patching all the time actually..

For instance you apply the AD TXK using hotpatching..

But couple of things that I can mention are;

You also use merging and hotpatching when it is instructed to do so..
You can merge use a single online patching cycle for applying the recommendations of the Patch Wizard.
You can use hotpatching for Tech patches.. I mean, for instance you can just patch the run edition while patching the Weblogic and then sync the patch fs once you are finished ..

Well.. if you have any question for applying some specific patches, just ask it  and  I will try to answer...

Other than that, as you know these things are already easily breakable. I mean 12.2 upgrade is already difficult, complex and troublesome.. So I would not do lots of modifications in the tasks by taking risks..

Note, we just finished an EBS 12.2.10 + 19.12 upgrade by using the documentation and following it line by line without modifying anything.. (We still needed open 5-6 SRs on the way:)