Configuration - Apex

satish
Hi Erman,

Current Apex environment in OnPremise:

2 webservers - nginx
2 app servers - ORDS on tomcat
1 server - Oracle Database.

Concurrent users count - 100

We agree above is oversized configuration, but since we have plenty of resources available in our DC, they went with above configuration.

Now, we planned to move to OCI PASS and below is the quantity we got.

Oracle Base Database Service - Enterprise Edition OCPU --> 5 for prod and 2 for UAT
Virtual Machine(VM.Standard3.Flex) - Compute Standard-X9 OCPU--> 2 for PROD and 2 for UAT
We have got 2 loadbalancers - One for PROD and one for UAT

Unfortunately we cannot increase any of the above configuration.

As you have observed, we have got only 2 OCPU for each compute VM. With this configuration, can you suggest some good setup from your expertise. Not sure whether webservers are really required and we can we skip them.

Thank You for the support.

Re: Configuration - Apex

What is the configuration of your on-prem servers? You didn't mention that.
What is the current resource usage on your on-prem environment? (in terms of cpu cores & memory )
Stuff like cpu model, frequency, chip.. These are also relevant for deciding these things.
In general your cloud compute resources should be aligned with your current on-prem resources (current load of your on-prem resources).. At least for the cloud migration..  After the migration, you can optimize.

So check the current load (cpu load, load average and stuff like that) on your on-prem and then decice the resource on the cloud side... Take peaks into the consideration as well.

Nginx may be for doing reverse proxy actions.. So it depends.. You should analyze your on-prem env and decide it. Of course, in OCI you have other solutions for that.. Load balancers for instance..

But in general, we migrate the cloud as-is, and then we optimize.. (unless the customer knows its on-prem env, ready for direct cloud replacements for some of the tech components, and able to test the application on cloud properly)

Re: Configuration - Apex

satish
Thanks for the update erman.

On premise

Current Apex environment in OnPremise:

2 webservers - nginx
2 app servers - ORDS on tomcat
1 server - Oracle Database.

Concurrent users count - 100

Database size 150GB

This is oversized configuration in onpremise.

Do you mean to go for similar configuration in cloud till the data migration and then optimise?
Pls correct me if my understanding is not correct.

Thank you

Re: Configuration - Apex

again! -> What is the current resource usage on your on-prem environment? (in terms of cpu cores & memory )

"Do you mean to go for similar configuration in cloud till the data migration and then optimise?" --> Yes at least for compute resources (cpu cores and memory)

Important --> "take your *current resource usage* (not! the underlying hardware resources) into consideration."