Disable awr snapshot before upgrade

satish
This post was updated on .
Dear erman,

We are in process of upgrading 11.1.0.7 to 11.2.0.4.
gather dictionary statistics running for 5 hours in our database?
Can we run this 1 day before the downtime window?

Thanks,
Satish

Re: Disable awr snapshot before upgrade

satish

Dear erman,

Actual scenario.

We are in process of upgrading 11.1.0.7 to 11.2.0.4.
As a pre upgrade step,gather dictionary statistics running for 5 hours in our database?
Can we run this 1 day before the downtime window?

Thanks,
Satish

Re: Disable awr snapshot before upgrade

Maybe as last resort, but we don't want to do anything to affect production performance and we don't want to do this by going beyond the limits, beyond the documentation I mean.. Even for 1 day.. Even 1 day before the upgrade. That's why we got to try to fix it first..

For instance; did you try to run it in parallel?

EXEC DBMS_STATS.GATHER_DICTIONARY_STATS ( options => 'GATHER STALE', DEGREE => 16);

Re: Disable awr snapshot before upgrade

satish
Thanks erman.

This is ebs database.During downtime,can we run this command?We have 4 core cpu dual processor.

EXEC DBMS_STATS.GATHER_DICTIONARY_STATS ( options => 'GATHER STALE', DEGREE => 16);

Can we use Gather Stale or AUTO.Since we are moving to prod next week,we just want to make sure.

Thanks you,
Satish

Re: Disable awr snapshot before upgrade

Decrease the degree to 8 or 4 (test it on your TEST Environment)
You are doing it before the upgrade; in the old version Oracle DB right?, Just use GATHER_STALE and parallel degree and see if it helps.. Again check it on your TEST env first.

Re: Disable awr snapshot before upgrade

satish
Yes erman,we are running in 11.1.0.7 database.By default,how many parallel does the script use?Any idea how to check.

Re: Disable awr snapshot before upgrade

It is the table's default value specified by the DEGREE clause in the CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE statement.

See ->Database PL/SQL Packages and Types Reference -> GATHER_DICTIONARY_STATS Procedure Parameters