Migration oracle database to OCI

satish
This post was updated on .
Hi erman,

We are planning to move oracle database from onpremise to OCI.
We have taken Oracle base database service.
We don't have vpn or fast connect.

Database size is less than 150GB.We are planning to use expdp impdp utilities for this migration and an offline migration.

 Question is:

We will export the schemas in source onpremise database.

 How do we connect to oci database which is in private subnet to copy the source dump file?

Pls suggest

Thank you

Re: Migration oracle database to OCI

satish
Hi erman,

Looks like vpn is mandatory to connect remotely,else we have to go through internet using bastion.But it has max session to live is 3 hours. What if a session like upgrade takes more than 3 hours?

Pls correct us.

Thanks,
SG

Re: Migration oracle database to OCI

Normally VPN is not needed. But I guess, you have a special case. You have restrictions right?  For instance, using bastion..  I think they don't let you reach outside your network without using bastion or a VPN, right?   If so, yes VPN may help.
If you need to use something like Bastion as a proxy and if you have static timeouts there, then you may break your work into parts and execute your tasks part by part aligned with the timeouts defined.

Re: Migration oracle database to OCI

satish
Hi erman,

Thank you. Is bastion a public facing service?Does it need public subnet. Without vpn,i think we have to go through internet with bastion to access servers in private network.

Pls advice.

Thank you

Re: Migration oracle database to OCI

Bastion in Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Bastion provides restricted and time-limited access to target resources that don't have public endpoints.

OCI Bastion is a public-facing service.
OCI Bastion does not require a public subnet on your end.
You don't need a public ip for this.
You connect to the public endpoint of OCI Bastion from the internet.
OCI Bastion then authenticates you and establishes a secure, encrypted connection to your private virtual network (VCN).
Once authenticated, you can access resources within your VCN through OCI Bastion.

See OCI Bastion Overview -> https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Bastion/Concepts/bastionoverview.htm

Re: Migration oracle database to OCI

satish
Hi erman,

Thanks for the update.

Does it require internet gateway and service gateway.

Thanks,
Satish

Re: Migration oracle database to OCI

If you simply want to access resources within the same VCN as the Bastion instance, like other instances or databases, you don't need any gateway.
Ref:

Bastion Overview: https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Bastion/home.htm
Service Gateway: https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/Network/Tasks/servicegateway.htm
Internet Gateway: https://docs.oracle.com/iaas/Content/Network/Tasks/managingIGs.htm