Need advice on Configuration - R12.2

satish
Hi Erman,

We have Oracle EBS environment with below configuration.

All are physical servers.

1) 2 Application Tier nodes with shared appltop-version R12.2.5

4 core cpu on each node

2) Database on 2 node RAC-version 19.17

4 core CPU on each node

Size of Database is 2TB

We are moving to fusion SAAS. Users need the existing EBS system for 1 or 2 years to run some reports.Hardly 15 concurrent users.

I think the above configuration is not required in this case.

We are planning to take 2 VMs..One for Applcation node and one for database node(non-rac) and migrate all the application and data. 2 core cpu on application vm and 4 core cpu on database vm. Database size is 2TB.

Is this a good idea.

Can you please provide your expertise.

Thank You

Re: Need advice on Configuration - R12.2

It depends..
It depends on the following;

your current usage of compute resources... You may predict what you need by looking that, by taking it as a reference. You can do a linear approach for the downsizing. But if there is still a process/a concurrent/ a batch or something like that needs to be executed fast enough (as fast as the old days), then that downsizing may be a problem.. I mean it also depends on the tolerance that your users will have for the slowdowns.
Besides, you re giving up the fault tolerancy (in addition to the load balancing) in DB and Apps Levels (and some levels below that) , the continuity..
You are going with single node both for apps and db tiers.. So if this is aligned with the new usage type and policies, then that's ok.

Re: Need advice on Configuration - R12.2

satish
Dear Erman,

Can the licences which we have taken for physical servers applicable to VM also.

Existing 4 physical servers,2 node rac and 2 node apps shared.
New environment : 2 vms one for app and one for db

Any idea.

Thanks,
SG

Re: Need advice on Configuration - R12.2

Yes. There is BYOL model (bring your own licenses)
Please see the related documentation and also speak with your sales representative for this.

Re: Need advice on Configuration - R12.2

satish
I should be more clear.

After moving to saas,the existing ebs will be there for few years for users to run some reports.since the existing physical servers reached end of life,we don't want to buy physical server.we are planning to move ebs to VM in onpremise data center.Can we use same licences which we have procured for physical servers.

Re: Need advice on Configuration - R12.2

Yes you can but you should be aligned with your licenses, and that depends on the hypervisor and the virtualization tech.
If you virtualize your HW with Oracle Linux KVM and implement cpu pinning according to the licenses you have, then you will have no license problems with Oracle.

Re: Need advice on Configuration - R12.2

satish
As always,thanks for your support.

We are checking with linux admin on the technology being used.

We should make sure,the same number of cores which we have taken licences in physical servers should be used in vm as well.

We have 2 node rac, 8 cores in physical servers. So,we have to use 8 cores in vm. Not more than 8. Pls correct if my understanding is wrong.

Source is 2 node rac physical servers
Target is single node vm.

Thanks
SG

Re: Need advice on Configuration - R12.2

Yes. Also take the core factor into account.
For instance, if you have intel CPU and if you have 2 cpu licenses, then you can have 4 cores for your database. (as the intel's core factor is 1/2)..

Also you have to implement cpu pinning.
For instance; you have Oracle Linux KVM for the virtualization and you have 16 cores in the physical server, but you only have 4 cores (2 cpu licenses).. If that's the case, you should assign 4 physical cores to your VM and implement cpu pinning to ensure that no cpus other than those 4 physical cores you assigned is used by your VM. Oracle Linux KVM and OVM are accepted by Oracle for building these kinds of license-friendly virtual environments.