OS Upgrade of Exadata x6-2

Zaheer
Dear Erman,

Can you please guide me how to upgrade OS on Exadata X6-2 from OL6.8 to OL7.6.

Infact I need to upgrade the database. Currently database 11g is running on it. And I need to upgrade it on database 19C.

Pl guide me on this

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Re: OS Upgrade of Exadata x6-2

You will do an image upgrade.
Check the following blog post to get the idea ->

https://ermanarslan.blogspot.com/2019/11/exadatardms-database-release-schedule.html

Re: OS Upgrade of Exadata x6-2

Zaheer
Dear Erman,

Thanks for your kind reply.

I want to rephrase my issue. pl guide me on this. What I need to do is to install a fresh database version 19C on my Exadata X6-2. Currently, Exadata X6-2 is running on preconfig OL 6.8. And on said version of OS, database 19c is not supported. So I need to upgrade the OS version first (min to OL 7.4 which is the bear min requirement of 19c).

So what I thought that my action plan should be as fol:-

Fresh installation of OS (OL 7.7) on my database nodes
Then fresh installation of oracle database 19c
Then restore RMAN full physical backup on 19c.

Now, following confusion on my suggested action plan require your kind guidance.

Can I do fresh installation of OS on Exadata DB nodes only?
Can I restore RMAN backup which is taken on database 11g and restore it on database 19C

Thanks & Regards

Re: OS Upgrade of Exadata x6-2

You can't fresh install OS on your db nodes. This is Exadata right? So you will need to do an image upgrade. This is how these things are done on Exadata. So the answer for your first question is "no".
The answer for your second question is also "no" :)

You need to upgrade your Exadata Image version and also ensure your current DB version is supported with the Exadata Image version to which you will upgrade.. Then you will do a 19C database upgrade using the binaries from the 19C Home. You will follow the upgrade guidelines. That's the way. You may also export-import your data from 11g to 19c , that s also a way but it may cost you a lot of efforts so upgrade method is your choice actually..