PAAS oracle cloud

satish
This post was updated on .
Hello erman,

Questions is about Oracle PASS. Here,will oracle provide servers with required applications and database  installed?
OR
Do we need to install application and database from our end ?

Does client require dba from their end to maange database?

Thank you

Re: PAAS oracle cloud

The platform will be up & running, you don't need to manage it.. The software for that specific PAAS service will be there, configured and ready to use. You use it, and you have some degrees of freedom for customizing your use.. It is something between SAAS (fully managed), and IAAS.
So, it will still require technical expertise to manage and maintain.

If you still have question, give me the full and exact name of the cloud service that is in your focus. Only then, I will be able to assist you.

Re: PAAS oracle cloud

satish
Thank you very much for the update.

Client is going to develop Custom application using Oracle Apex with  Oracle Database.
Do DBA and Apex  ADMIN have any role from client end or will Oracle  manage the database and application?

Pls clarify

Re: PAAS oracle cloud

Then you will go with Apex Service or Oracle Autonomous Database with Apex.. With that, almost no need for a proper DBA role, but it will still require a role that is capable of dealing and managing the cloud environment.. But actually for the Autonomous side, it is still better to have a DBA in line.

But if you will go with for instance IAAS and create your own database and enable Apex there (as you do in on-prem env), only then you will need have a DBA.

See -> https://docs.oracle.com/en/cloud/paas/autonomous-database/serverless/adbsb/application-express-autonomous-database.html

&

See -> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUo-NIMouZ_uIyy2_XClb625HtTYLmaGx

Re: PAAS oracle cloud

satish
Dear erman,

It's a database as service. In this case,database upgrades and maintenance will be done by oracle.

1) What about the Apex application,will they also take care of Apex upgrades.

2) We have taken Compute ocpu for ords apps server. Does app servers also handled by oracle?

Any idea.

Thank You

Re: PAAS oracle cloud

For being fully managed by Oracle ,you need to go with the Oracle Apex Service or Apex Autonomous Service.
I think your case will be a co-managed one.
Okay, you re not using build-your-own env (using directly using the OCI Compute).. Actually, you are doing better than that.. You go with the DBCS, APEX DATABASE on DBCS — Oracle Database Base Service.
So you get a PAAS for Database..
Basically, you have a machine provided by Oracle and some level of software on it.. (in this case that level is the database) Now, Oracle looks after the machine plus all the layers till the database ( so it does maintenance, patching etc. till that level).You need to build/install and manage the levels above.. So, the rest is not your concern.

Please see the following.. It will give you the general idea about what you are planning to do ->
https://medium.com/@hiteshgondalia/run-your-oracle-apex-apps-on-oci-paas-dbcs-exacs-with-your-own-domain-name-ca98dd99a7ce

Also see -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiKAPpjevkA

Re: PAAS oracle cloud

satish
Thanks erman. It helps.

Below lines taken from "https://www.linkedin.com/learning/oracle-base-database-services-professional-workshop/oracle-base-database-service-overview"

With Oracle Base Database Service you manage the database instance, including provisioning, patching, backup, and disaster recovery using cloud automation tools, such as the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Console, CLI, or API. Oracle Base Database Service provides a license-included Oracle Database Consumption option

Is it Oracle that cares of database instance like applying any patches and database upgrades?

Thank you

Re: PAAS oracle cloud

Sort of.. You initiate it using cloud console (for instance) and then your database will be upgraded.. you can even run precheck and stuff like that using console.. So, Oracle eases this upgrade thing for you.

Please see -> https://docs.oracle.com/en/cloud/paas/base-database/upgrade-dbs/index.html
Oracle Base Database Service -> Upgrade a DB System

https://docs.oracle.com/en/cloud/paas/base-database/update-dbs/index.html
Oracle Base Database Service -> Update a DB System (--for the release update patches)

Also see ->  https://docs.oracle.com/en/cloud/paas/base-database/

Re: PAAS oracle cloud

satish
Thanks for the update. It helps