Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

raiq1
Dear Erman sir,

Thanks for your supporting us time by time.

We are planning for upgrade our environment and migrate our Server to ODA -X8 Hardware.

I am keen to understand a  few thing before we start migrating.

Currently we have 2 VM , 1 for Oracle EBS application 12.1.3 & other is for database.

Application : EBS 12.1.3
Database : oracle 11.2.0.4
O/S : Oracle Linux 6.7

As vendor plan they will create 2 KVM for ODA machine and migrate the database and application.

Can you please confirm me that ODA has supporting file system model or any other .

Need your expert advise for all migration procedure.

Regards,
Raiq

Re: Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

You need Linux 7 for DB upgrade, so I guess that's why you are migrating the database to a new vm.
For EBS 12.2 , you don't need that, but if you want to have your new apps tier on Linux 7, then ok, migrate the apps tier too..

What do you mean by "Can you please confirm me that ODA has supporting file system model or any other"? Please clarify it, so I can answer. ODA is nothing but a hardware, so you have OS on the VMs there. So it is basically Linux.. So I didn't understand what your concern is.

Re: Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

raiq1
Dear Erman ,

Sorry I have not clarify you, I mean that all oracle Linux level operating system command which we are using currently in our machine are running there in ODA Machine.

I have read that they have different command line interface, kindly confirm that.

Also in Current environment, our database file are stored in NON ASM . so ODA support non asm ?

Planing for created 2 KVM in ODA , 1 for apps & another for db with Oracle Linux 7.6 & above .

after that upgrade a database from 11g to 19c in new ODA machine, this is our plan.

Hope you understand my query.

Regards,
Raiq.

Re: Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

1)What is your ODA model? (HA, M, L , S ?)
2)Is it virutalized?
3)What is your ODA software version? (19.9, 19.8 etc..?)

Re: Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

raiq1
Dear Erman sir,

Just I wants to clear you that we have ordered the machine and hopefully we will receive it by this month.

Reason for discuss this topic , need your Expert advice for configuring, implementing and migration the data from existing Server to ODA.

For you question below:-

1)What is your ODA model? (HA, M, L , S ?)

ODA X8-2HA  Model

2)Is it virutalized?

Yes it support Virtualized

3)What is your ODA software version? (19.9, 19.8 etc..?)

Not configure.

Need your expert advise .

Regards,

Re: Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

First of all,

With the latest releases of ODA, here is a quick info;

With ODA 19.10 release, only 19.10 database is supported in DB Systems
With ODA 19.11 release, only 19.11 database is supported in DB Systems
With ODA 19.12 release, only newly provisioned 19.12 and 21.3 databases are supported in DB Systems.

The supported database version for a given DB System version can be queried using odacli describe-dbsystem-image

Ref: Oracle Database Appliance (ODA) - KVM FAQ

You will use KVM for the virtualization.
As for the DB and APPS server, you will have DB Systems (Basically a vm with a db) and application Vms (simple VMs with Oracle Linux).

There are some restrictions that will make you align yourself;

->
All virtual machines (VM), or guests, are Oracle Linux operating systems and only Linux applications are supported in the KVM.
You cannot deploy an Oracle Database in the KVM. Oracle Databases must run on the base Oracle Linux operating system.   (this may be misleading .. We have a thing called DB System now..)

Check : https://blogs.oracle.com/oda/post/oracle-database-appliance-oda-kvm-faq
As for the DB system (including the fileysystems as well) and application vms, these tasks are highly automated in this machine, please have a look at the following blog post;

https://blog.dbi-services.com/deploying-a-kvm-based-virtualized-x8-2m-oda/

Re: Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

raiq1
Dear Erman sir,

As i mentioned that our goal is to migrate our application & database from current server to ODA.

As per your last reply how i can succeed this plan because our database is 11.2.0.4 and you mention that

ODA current release support 19c database.

Kindly need your advice how i achieve this task because plan is to move current 11g to ODA and in ODA machine we have to upgrade the database from 11g to 19c.

Regards,

Re: Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

11.2.0.4 is a pretty old version. I would upgrade my database before changing my platform.
We have KVM there and also we have a a thing called DB System in the new ODA virtualization, in the new software releases..
We have 11.2.0.4 databases running on ODA X8-2HA and we are currently in the process of upgrading them.. We don't think 11.2.0.4 can get the best out of it, so we are upgrading.. 11.2.0.4 requires ACFS to be used in ODA.. We are not even using KVM...
So if you use KVM, 19C Upgrade will be benefitical in this context..
For KVM (virtualization), upgrading it in place and then migrating to ODA seems better actually.. (especially if the database is a mission critical one)

Re: Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

raiq1
sir,

Is it possible to talk to you, gives your free time. I will discuss to all.

Regards,

Re: Planing for Migration from Existing Hardware to ODA

raiq1
Hi erman sir,

I just wants to update you that we have received the ODA machine X8-2HA for production migration.

currently we are using 300 NUP based database license and now need to convert to processor based.

our current server are capitalizing 30 cores per server but it is not recommended , so we convert into processor based to fulfill license requirement.

Now need to know how I can calculate the exact number of Cores should enable in new ODA Machine, once we start the setup in ODA.

ODA are supports up to 32 Cores, but as per Vendor  12 cores are enough in our environment.

I need exact Cores figure that will support our environment without facing performance issue.

please guide us.

Regards,
Raiq