Storage IOPS

satish
Hi erman,

We are building a new servers. This is EBS
Application. We will have 500 concurrent users accessing the system. We are using 8K block size. 2 Node RAC with SAN storage.
We are using HP 3PAR storage. No idea,what to request from storage team. How can we calculate the IOPS required. Any suggestions please?

What is the general process you follow. Can you pls give some idea.

Thanks,
SG

Re: Storage IOPS

Hi,

EBS workloads can vary depending on many factors.. For instance; such modules deployed, users per module and business cycles and so on. So there is no single truth for that. That's why it is better to work with your Oracle Representative for sizing. However; if this is a new instance, and if you have already another/old instance in place, the utilization of that old instance can be used as a weak reference to properly size the new environment.

You can also start your TEST installation with regular storage luns and then do you load and stress tests and then decide on the correct storage specs for the production...  For big systems (like having 500 "concurrent" users), it is better to use a high end storage (for instance Exadata for DB, SSD based luns for Apps) , but! again it also depends on other factors.. # of concurrent users is important for decision but other factors (that I mentioned in the first paragraph) are also important..

Re: Storage IOPS

satish
Thanks for the update.

Stress test means is it work number of users login to the system accessing some forms,running concurrent program etc or is it using some tool?

Please advice.

Thanks,
SG

Re: Storage IOPS

Stress, load, performance.. you name it..

Try to simulate your future-prod workload on TEST env and check the AWR report + get the acceptance of users for the durations (both for screen navigations + batches (concurrents, reports so on, so forth).. Then do your storage adjustments for the prod -- if necessary.

Re: Storage IOPS

You can use a testing tool, or you can make your users to simulate to prod workload.. (this is a manual solution, it is a little hard, but if you don't have a testing tool, then this is what you have)..

Re: Storage IOPS

satish
This post was updated on .
Thanks again.

Can you recommend some tools which are suitable
In future,lots of data will be there tables,how can we simulate such scenario manually?

Thanks,
SG

Re: Storage IOPS

Please see the following ->

An Oracle White Paper
Load Testing Best Practices for Oracle E-Business Suite using Oracle Application Testing Suite (https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/)app-quality-mgmt/wp-pdit-loadtest-1949296.pdf)

ORACLE LOAD TESTING SUITE FOR ORACLE APPLICATIONS
(https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/app-test/ds-olt-accelerators-1626512.pdf

Re: Storage IOPS

satish